Friday, June 20, 2008

A week with Dad

Well, here it is, one week down. We had a great visit with Bob and Karen (local friends) last Sunday and have sort of vascilated with planting endeavors every day. There's a full blown veggie garden out back that the birds have enjoyed immensely so far and I have flowers all over the decks that make me happy. Yesterday I planted about 40 nasty baby seedlings into individual sleeves. I'll never do that again. Either the seeds go directly into the "baby" slots or I buy REAL flowers!

I moved tulips that were missed by the starving squirrels last Fall to new locations and was amazed to find that in two short years my original bulbs had turned, in every case, into three bulbs. Sort of self preservation I think. The squirrels eat 40, the remaining 30 triple in size. So far I'm staying on top, but we'll have to see how that maintains. Also moved Irene's yuccas to a more secluded location. Here's hoping they'll make it someday. Sure do look shabby right now. I could see that some of my planting decisions were far less than design successes.

Jess. Just let me know if you're safe (blood test). Can't bring myself to discuss potential/existing Humane Society damage to my perfect child. If the world knew how the caretakers of the animals were cared for themselves....can't stop being a Mom, but know when to shut up.

Dad wasn't supposed to give away the bird house. A couple of days ago when I built it it was a simple project. Today we went to TC and guess what Michael's had???? FOUR MORE, very different birdhouses, essentially the same size as the one I built! Looks like I'm gonna hang out a shingle offering up "hillside cabins" for feathered visitors. Much as I regret it I can't leave the openings uncovered. These things are just decorative, can't be cleaned out, and we'll get so many bees and wasps in them we won't be able to bring them into the garage for the winter. Living in a former orchard is wonderful in so many respects. But the wasps have been looking for an entrance into the bases of our outdoor light fixtures for three weeks. They'll nest nearly any place they can, and they DO get aggressive in September.

Tomorrow's the Spring art fair in Frankfort. Last year Steph and I went and bought the big bird house I worked on for two months afterward. Unfortunately the show is half the size it was when I used to do it and thunderstorms are predicted for the whole weekend. We'll still go but I feel kind of sorry for first time artisans who come with high hopes for sales.

Tommy, John and I have been pulling the Gorilla cart all over the place while I work outside. He's taken it for MANY rides around the property. A man, his toys, and a son-in-law who understands him! Doesn't get any better than that.

Be well. Juana can't make it up for the Fourth. Hope Jas and Steph can. Love to all, Ma

No comments: